Clicky Web Analytics
presentation
documentation
creation
automation
bim after dark live

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

On Learning New Software.


It has been quite some time since I tried to learn a new software.  Honestly, I forgot what it feels like. Staring at the user interface having absolutely no idea where to begin.  Clicking around and getting frustrated with the results of those clicks.  Feeling scared and thinking "is this really worth it?"  Maybe I should just outsource it.

I have always loved creating things.  Creating music using Cubase, Pro-Tools, or Reason.  Creating artwork in MS Paint and Photoshop.  Creating buildings and renderings in Sketchup, Revit, 3DS Max, etc...  An area I have only slightly touched on is video editing and creation.  I have used iMovie and Windows Movie Maker in the past, but with the quality of work I want for BIM After Dark I decided to dive into the world of Adobe After Effects.  Additionally, I recently finished a rebuild of a car project and am learning TunerStudio to tune the car...

Regardless of the software, the learning process is always the same. There is always that terrifying feeling the first few times I open the software.  The frustration of not being able to find out how to do a simple little task. And finally, the joy of completing my first project.

I was reminded of this over the past few weeks and happily accepted the highs and lows.

Remember, you are not the only one who is or has gone through this process.  We ALL have...



P.S. - I was also reminded about how valuable video tutorials are, why I began this blog all those years ago, and why I will continue to help as many people as I can when they are going through the same things I do when learning new software.