Clicky Web Analytics
presentation
documentation
creation
automation
bim after dark live

Sunday, May 15, 2011

High Definition Revit Renderings (HDR Tone and Merge)

Want to know a very easy way to add some serious depth, quality, and interest to your Revit renderings?  I have been fooling around with this little technique and Revit renderings for quite a bit:


The left image is exported directly from Revit.  The right image is exported from Revit and then enhanced using Photoshop.  The tool is called HDR Toning and HDR Merge.  HDR Toning only exists in Photoshop CS5 while HDR Merge exists in CS3, CS4, and CS5.  I said "High Definition" in the post title but it really stands for High Dynamic Range.  This is a fantastic way to add a lot of dimension to Revit Renderings.

There are tons of videos and tutorials on using these tools if you do a search but I have linked a few ones I have used below.

Merge to HDR


One of the great things about Revit Renderings is the ability to change exposure values and similar values after completing the rendering.  So, go finish your rendering... save a few images with different exposure values and watch this video...



Tell me thats not a cool and simple way to get some awesome images...

HDR Toning


Now, in photoshop CS5 we have a fantastic tool called HDR Toning. With just one image you can get basically the same effect as the HDR merge with multiple exposure values  (the rendering I posted above was done using the HDR Toning tool not the Merge).  Check it out:



Pretty cool, huh?  What do you guys think?  I used this tool on a few of the interior renderings of my Mantra Hotel project (but I did not go to overboard... I was a little timid with it).  Also, the tutorials I chose to show above were just the ones I used when I was looking into the tool.... Feel free to search around.  There are thousands!