Clicky Web Analytics
presentation
documentation
creation
automation
bim after dark live

Monday, January 18, 2016

Are You Tired of Downloading Bad Revit Families?






I'm just as guilty as you are.  I'll admit it here on a public forum for the whole world to see.  I, The Revit Kid, have downloaded free Revit families from the Internet.  


You may be thinking, “So what? How else will I build my models?”


I will respond by asking a question.  Was the last family you downloaded for free a good family?


Was it parametric?  Did it actually look like the production intended it to? Was it even the size of the product you are specifying?  Finally, did it kill the performance of your overall project model?




When I think back to the last free model I downloaded I can tell you that it was “kind of” parametric, it “kind of” looked like the product I was specifying, and it most certainly was not the exact size of the product I was specifying.


In fact, here is the last free family I downloaded online:



Looks pretty good. The detailing looks nice and the title of the download says “parametric”.  Of course, it was not exactly the height and width I needed… So I adjusted the parameters and got this:





At first glance it looks okay but look a little closer.  There is a definite problem between the landing and the first run of alternating treads.  How many times has this happened to you?

In the comments section below, tell me what the model was and if it was good or bad.  What was wrong with it?

Let's have a little BIM therapy session to start off the week … ;)