Clicky Web Analytics
presentation
documentation
creation
automation
bim after dark live

Thursday, September 13, 2018

I Need Those Renderings… By Tomorrow




Yesterday I published a post about how ugly “default” Revit could be.  I was hoping to evoke a response out of you, and it worked.  I received a bunch of emails and comments describing your experiences with Revit and presentation graphics.  As I suspected, this problem is an epidemic in academia and pervasive in the workforce.

Doesn’t it feel great to know you’re not alone?  In fact, I decided to highlight a few of the stories:





“Back in college, most of my professors would not accept Revit renderings for anything above a desk crit. I always figured that it was because I was at an art school, but it seems to be more prolific than I thought…” – Chris

"Chris, Same with me in college as well (2016 Grad)" - Cody

And an email from John:

“… The firms I have worked for have never relied upon Revit for final renderings.” – John B.

And my favorite:

“ ☹ “ - Carlos

As the stories above show, there is a problem.  But, is it the fact that Revit’s “default” settings are ugly the only problem when it comes to producing presentation graphics?

I believe there is a secondary problem: time.

Better yet, time and expectations.

I suspect that there are two reasons for the prevalence of “ugly” Revit.  The first, as discussed yesterday is that the “default” Revit is ugly and many users don’t know how to make it sexy or where to begin.  The second is users know how to make it sexy but aren’t given enough time.

How many times have you been asked to make a few renderings, presentation plans, and diagrams in less than a day or two?  How many times have you spent days on a couple beautiful scenes only to have your boss ask you to change and re-render everything in half the time?

Yeah, I know the feeling all too well.

Today, instead of hearing your Revit is Ugly stories I want to hear about that time you were given an impossible deadline to put together Revit presentation graphics (renderings, plans, diagrams, etc…).

What was the request?  How much time were you given?

I know I am not alone in this.

Comment below and let’s chat about it!